The HIVE has a green screen recording studio, an audio and screen capture studio, and graphic design capabilities. You may also check out filming equipment to record your own Mines videos. To ensure that the HIVE can help, please see the services that we offer below.
What type of project is it?
Instructional media projects require a multi-step solution.
- Preproduction Meeting: Goals for the course will be discussed along with establishing a timeline based on the deadline.
An Online Learning Experience Designer (OLED) and/or HIVE Lead will assist and be your primary contacts for the project.
- Green Screen or Voiceover/Screen Capture: These are the main types of video recordings used (VideoScribe and Lumens DocCamera are also available). For Green Screen, the HIVE can film you then manipulate the background with images, lecture slides, or other backgrounds. A Voiceover/Screen Capture is a voice recording over lecture slides or a problem demonstration.
- Transcripts: To prepare for your recording appointment, a transcript, editing transcript, and any necessary resources (such as PowerPoint slides, etc.) will need to be provided in advance.
- Recording: A HIVE team member will guide you through the recording process. Appointments can be scheduled for 1-2 hours.
- Editing: Audio and video from the recording will be evaluated and adjusted. A week is typically needed to complete the process. The HIVE lead will review the videos before sending the video links to you.
- Revisions: After reviewing the first draft, you or the OLED may suggest revisions. Updates will be made until it meets approval.
- Close Captioning: Once the video is finalized and approved, the video will be sent for closed captioning and course use.
For student projects (Senior Design, Capstone, Goldmine, course assignments, etc.), Mines students can schedule an appointment to check out equipment for short term use. HIVE staff will provide a general overview for using the equipment. Footage can then be edited on select computers in CTLM Computer Commons using Adobe Creative Suite which provides professional editing tools for student use.
For department events and lectures, faculty, staff or students can schedule an appointment to check out equipment for short term use. HIVE staff will provide a general overview for using the equipment. Once the equipment is returned, the HIVE will upload the recorded media, provide a basic edit, then send a link for viewing or downloading.
If you have a need for services not indicated, feel free to email us with questions or consider reaching out to Communications and Marketing.