Pedagogy Seminars are lunchtime learning opportunities designed to expose faculty to important pedagogical practices, develop awareness of other teaching efforts on campus, and provide a venue for faculty and external experts to share and learn about best instructional practices. Lunch is provided at all Pedagogy Seminars for faculty who attend and participate in the session. Pedagogy Seminars are the last Tuesday of the month from 12PM – 1PM.
Spring 2018 Seminars:
Apr. 24 – Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Mines (Ballroom E – Student Center)
The submission deadline for the 2018 cohort has passed. Please consider applying for the 2019 program.
The purpose of this initiative is to provide focused time for a cohort of faculty to learn, work both collaboratively and independently to focus on their teaching, learn new pedagogy techniques and course design theory, and to significantly revise a course that will be taught by the faculty member during the 2018/19 school year. The overall intent is to significantly enhance the teaching and learning at Mines systemically. Each faculty member will be provided one-month of support (salary for the full month = 22 days of salary) in July/August 2018 to participate in this intense learning and working session. This summer session will include classes, readings, and time to work alongside pedagogy and curriculum experts as faculty design or revise a targeted course. There will also be intentional breaks woven in to the schedule to allow you to pause and apply the new learning to your own teaching plans. You will be expected to participate in workshop and collaborative activities scheduled during the program, and to have the course revisions ready before the start of the semester in August 2018.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: November 6, 2017 before 12:00 pm (noon) Mountain Time Download and review the program description & calendar before applying. You can download a PDF of the application so you can review the questions in advance, but you must complete the online application to apply. Be sure to discuss your participation in the program with your Department Head.
Calendar of Responsibilities for all Cohort Members
July 9 – August 3, 2018
- Participate in pedagogy workshops, and final Showcase event. A detailed schedule and agenda is available to download at TrefnyCenter.mines.edu. The workshops will be more intensive during the first weeks to build the foundation for the course revisions. You are expected to actively participate in all sessions, including PLC meetings during the school year.
- Participate in collaborative sessions to review other course designs as well as to both receive and provide feedback to colleagues.
- Significantly revise a course. The course revisions may include shifts in learning goals, activities, teaching methods and course delivery, and/or evaluations. The course revisions will be documented and shared.
August 4 – August 10, 2018
- Continue to work on course revisions. Trefny Center faculty and the HIVE will be available for support.
- Submit refined course revision poster by 5:00 pm August 7, 2018.
- Participate in the Engineering Learning Conference and Cohort Poster Session on August 15, 2018.
2018-2019 Academic Year
- Participate in Observation & Feedback sessions
- Participate in monthly Professional Learning Community meetings
- Prepare a paper describing revision process that you undertook for your particular course of study, lessons learned, and possibly the outcomes of the revisions. The paper should be of a quality to be submitted to a professional conference or publication. Submit the paper no later than June 30, 2019.
29 Mines faculty members undertook an intensive course revision efforts this summer. They engaged in focused learning and study about course design, pedagogical practices, and ways to engineer learning opportunities throughout the month of June. This cohort of faculty are significantly redesigning their courses and laying the foundation for advancing learning by Engineering Learning at Mines.
Course Revision Cohort members are listed below.
Please click on each individual to read about the course they redesigned.
Yosef Allam – EPICS
Linda Battalora – Petroleum Engineering
Melanie Brandt – LAIS
Kristine Callan – Physics
Debra Carney – Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Allison Caster – Chemistry
Stephanie Claussen – EECS
Agata Dean – Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Jered Dean – Mechanical Engineering
Steven DeCaluwe – Mechanical Engineering
Holly Ecklund – Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Renee Falconer – Chemistry
Elizabeth Holley – Mining Engineering
Joseph Horan – LAIS
Scott Houser – Economimcs and Business
Derrick Hudson – LAIS
Mark Kuchta – Mining Engineering
Mirna Mattjik – EPICS
Mike Mikucki – Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Rachel Morrish – Chemical and Biological Engineering
Mike Nicholas – Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Jeffery Paone – EECS
John Persichetti – Chemical and Biological Engineering
Jason Porter – Mechanical Engineering
C. Josh Ramey – Chemical and Biological Engineering
Greg Rulifson – LAIS
Susanta Sarkar – Physics
Rebecca Swanson – Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Eric Toberer – Physics
Congratulations to our 2017 Summer Cohort!
|First Name||Last Name||College|